The rest of us didn’t pay to listen to you chit-chatting while rock and roll royalty is on stage playing our favorite songs. If we wanted to struggle to hear these songs while people shouted over them, we’d listen to them on our iPhones while sitting in some random noisy bar.
I’m not sure when this inconsiderate bullshit really became a problem, but it’s undoubtedly gotten worse in my lifetime. If it was a local music show and you didn’t have to pay a cover to get in, then I might understand that there are people at the bar who are just there to have a drink and be social, regardless of whether there is any live music happening (talking would still be a douchey thing to do, but not as bad). But when every person who entered the door had to buy a ticket in advance, then there is literally no excuse for showing up and running your mouth the entire time. You knew damn well that you were heading out to see a show and as soon as you open your mouth and start yapping you’re guilty of being a selfish twat who doesn’t actually care about the musicians, their music, or their actual fans.
Alcohol certainly only serves to exacerbate the problem. I’ve wanted to open a juice bar/coffee house rock and roll club for years. Think about whatever you favorite local stage is - now imagine the bar serves pretty much anything other than alcoholic beverages. I’d actually get serious about trying to make something like that a reality if I didn’t know without an inkling of a doubt that it would fail - because I firmly believe that most adults would rather go to the bar down the road where they can drink shitty beer and be terrible people while a musician struggles to make a connection with his fans from the stage.
Anyway. I think Black Francis was great last night in Ithaca. I mean, I certainly enjoyed the bits and pieces of his set that I could hear over the constant din of conversation and clinking shot glasses, but I can’t really provide an honest review because I was too distracted to actually focus on the music he was playing.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- tochaseortohunt said: Deep breaths, Steve. Next time slip a roofie in their beers and they will stop talking.
- shelterfromthenorm likes this
- whltexbread said: Earplugs help (for actual)
- immensedarkblossom likes this
- do-over likes this
- doublejack likes this
- brilliantorange likes this
- elizabite likes this
- tymethiefslongerthoughts likes this
- jaydensmommie likes this
- davesnothere likes this
- ivegotzooms likes this
- claviusrobinsky likes this
- summersumz said: I think it’s because indie is now popular. People go because they’ve heard a band is good, not because they’re there to hear if the band is good. Also I think that people haul their non-music friends along. Whatever the reason, it sucks.
- ungracefulme likes this
- summersumz likes this
- stereoforbrains likes this
- kimpetuous likes this
- luckyshirt said: Last time I saw Frank Black he bailed early because of this.
- potjie likes this
- tonightsselection likes this
- kfedup said: I hate that so much. That and the idiots who need to try to communicate with the performer between every song as if the fandom is mutual. People need to settle down.
- kfedup likes this
- helms-deep likes this
- twoyellows likes this
- nicky36 likes this
- steelopus posted this