I was jus chillen in the hatch of my Outback, playing bass before band practice, when Barn Cat hopped in with me for some pettin’ and lovin’.
I don’t know its real name, but it’s always hanging around the barn where we practice. One day it attacked and killed a bird right in front of me and then looked me straight in the eyes as if to say “You see that? I’m a badass motherfucker.” Yes you are, Barn Cat. Yes you are.
A rare Wednesday night band practice. We practice in a converted barn. It’s 9º outside. I think it was about 30º inside. Maybe 50º. I don’t know, whatever… it was cold.
Apparently the venue has a live video/audio stream… check it out!
A light rain began to fall at 1:45. We finished playing at 2. Then the real show began as all hell broke loose and the sky opened up dumping a reported 3” of rain in under an hour. During that hour we moved all of our equipment through the storm - about 100’ from the tent under which we played to the van parked in the lot next door. Anyway. Hello. I’m super wet. (Taken with Instagram)
- Saturday morning: Load up my new car with all my rock and roll tools.
- Saturday day: 95ºF - Burning Snella plays from 5p-7p at a private party… outdoors. We have to supply and setup all gear, including the PA system. Prepare for sweat.
- Saturday night: I’m going to see Toadies play for the first time since 1996. Hell yes I’m excited. (Also featuring: Helmet.)
- Sunday morning: Get up at 7a to load the Burning Snella gear into Park Ave Fest stage before the street closes at 9a.
- Sunday day: Burning Snella plays the Park Ave Fest at Dragonfly from 12p-1p. Free show, all are welcome.
- Sunday night: Breaking Bad.
Waiting to play…
Better Than Ezra
First recording session for The Ripper. Great direct tone from this thing.
I wasn’t actually on a stage, so I guess I didn’t break my “no shorts on stage” rule.
On the road. (Taken with Instagram at Rochester, NY)
Feel Like Making Love
Oops. I forgot it’s Wednesday.
Here’s a shot of me from 8/7/10. Yes, I’m a unicorn and my horn is a microphone. I’m a unimic? Microcorn? Whatever; I’m going to bed.
I’ve played in two bands for the last decade (one since ‘95). There are times when activity is low and not much is happening; those are the times when I feel as though I’m wasting away as a musician and as a person. Making music is a core part of what makes me who I am. And then there are times like now, where the activity is so frequent that I hardly have time to do anything else… and it feels great.
My evening schedule since last Wednesday and continuing through this weekend:
- Wednesday (7/28): FMGreen practice
- Satudray (31): FMGreen practice
- Sunday (8/1): FMGreen practice
- Monday (2): Burning Snella practice
- Wednesday (4): FMGreen practice
- Thursday (5): Burning Snella practice
- Friday (6): Pack and move equipment
- Saturday (7): Burning Snella gig
I like this. This is good. It’s a lot of work, but it’s good. More live performance is on the horizon (which is what I love more than anything), and there will be a lot of recording before the year is through. I hope this furious schedule can continue. It’s very rewarding.